Mary's Library

Friday, September 15, 2006

"I don't know how to kill Harold Crick"


If you have read my Blogger Profile, then you have seen that one of my interests is listed as "recreational tax law". I used to do tax law for (not very much) money. Now I dabble in it purely for fun. Well, at least I don't pull the wings off of insects, so it could be worse. But now I have hope that tax-related entertainment is going mainstream. This November, Stranger Than Fiction, a movie about an IRS agent, will be released.

The agent in the movie is a fellow named Harold Crick (played by Will Ferrell). Harold leads a remarkably boring life. Then, he starts hearing a voice. This voice, which no one else can hear, is narrating his life very accurately. When he consults with a psychologist (Linda Hunt), she asks him: "You have a voice talking to you?" He replies: "About me. Accurately. And with a better vocabulary".

The voice turns out to be that of novelist Karen Eiffel (Emma Thompson). She is writing a book about a character named Harold Crick. Her narration, as she writes her book, is taking control of the real Harold's life. That is enough of a problem for Harold, but the situation becomes potentially disastrous when the voice announces "I don't know how to kill Harold Crick." But killing off Harold in the novel, and inadvertently in real life, is just what she intends to do.

Can't wait to see it.

Hat tip to TaxProf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home