Mary's Library

Monday, January 30, 2006

What I'm Reading

THE SHADOW OF THE LAW
By Kermit Roosevelt
2005
A legal thriller that takes place in a white-shoe K Street firm. I’ve read only 27 of its 370 pages, so although it is well written so far I’m not ready to pronounce. It’s unusual in having a bibliography. I don’t read many legal thrillers but I doubt most of them go to the trouble of listing sources. The title that captured my attention was PIN STRIPES AND PEARLS (Scribner, 2003), by Judith Hope. Because Roosevelt’s book is due at the library tomorrow I moved it to the top of my list but it is in grave danger of abandonment.

BLEAK HOUSE
By Charles Dickens
1852
Masterpiece Theater is broadcasting the new production of this, my favorite Dickens novel, so I picked it up and started reading it again. Good decision. It’s delightful.

LITTLE WOMEN
By Louisa May Alcott
1868.
Sheer pleasure. See post of 26 Jan 2006, “Louisa May Alcott.”

BARCHESTER TOWERS
By Anthony Trollope
1857
Flawless. See post of 17 Jan 2006, “Reading List Details.”

THE CASE OF THE VELVET CLAWS
By Erle Stanley Gardner
1933
This was the first Perry Mason mystery, wherein the major characters were introduced. I was surprised to find how much they changed over the years. By the time Gardner was writing CASE OF THE CAUTIOUS COQUETTE (1949) or even THE CASE OF THE LAME CANARY (1937), Perry, Della, and Paul had changed size, shape, age, and sartorial style. By the time of THE CASE OF THE CARELESS CUPID (1968) Gardner had been influenced by Raymond Burr, Barbara Hale, and William Hopper, who played Perry, Della, and Paul in the Perry Mason television show, which ran from 1957 through 1966.

Little known fact: When Raymond Burr had to miss several episodes in 1963 because of health problems, Bette Davis filled in as a lawyer friend of Perry's who was handling his caseload while Perry was in Europe.

STOP STEALING SHEEP
& Find Out How Type Works

By Erick Spiekermann and E M Ginger
2nd ed, Adobe Press (2002.)
See post of 20 Jan 2006, “Type.”

TEA WITH JANE AUSTEN
By Kim Wilson
(2004)
I’m getting near the end and am now reading only a paragraph a day. See post of 17 Jan 2006, “Reading List Details.”

JOHN RUSKIN:
The Early Years
By Tim Hilton
1985
I haven’t picked it up all week. Must try harder. See post of 17 Jan 2006, “Reading List Details.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home