Mary's Library

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Knitting Camp

I am taking a course at A Grand Yarn in which I’m learning to knit a sweater in the round, adding a few extra stitches in the front, called a steek. When the sweater is nearly done I will take a pair of scissors and cut the knitting right up the middle. Scary, huh?

I’m told that knitting doesn’t unravel sideways, making this a safe way to convert a pullover to a cardigan. We shall see. The gal teaching the course is Lena, an artist who knows more about knitting than any human in North America excepting maybe Meg Swanson.

Today I bought a marvelous book that Lena showed me called SWEATERS FROM CAMP: 38 Color-Patterned Designs from Meg Swansen’s Knitting Campers (2002), edited by Amy Detjen, Joyce Williams, and Meg Swansen. Meg has been teaching a knitting summer camp in Wisconsin since 1974. She devised a competition, asking the folks who had been to camp to design sweaters. This book has the patterns for the winners. And winners they are!

I'm trying to talk Sarah into going to knitting camp with me in the summer of 2007.

2 Comments:

At 5:00 AM PST , Blogger dovegreyreader said...

What a wonderful thought Mary, knitting camp, I would love this. I'm currently heavily into socks realising that I had to turn a heel or I hadn't lived and of course now I can't stop. These work like a dream on short circular needles and some of the random sock wool knits up into designs that make me look very clever.
Lynne

 
At 2:00 PM PST , Blogger AJ said...

Hi! I saw that you were going to do steeks. I've never done them myself, the idea scares me, LOL, but you should read some stories from The Yarn Harlot. She just talked about steeks in her last blog. She's funny and helpful!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home