Mary's Library

Friday, May 19, 2006

What Not To Read


I think I’ve just ruined my relationship with my goddaughter, Torie. She’s a bright, lively teenager who loves to read and who from infancy has been one of the best movie reviewers I’ve known. She couldn’t even talk when she started showing a marked preference for really first rate movies and a blasé ho hum attitude about bad ones. It’s uncanny.

Tonight she is going to see the movie, “The Da Vinci Code,” and she sent me an email to ask if I liked the book. She loved it.

I suppose I could have said I hadn’t read it, because I got only a third of the way into it when I gave up in bored disgust. Or was it disgusted boredom? Whatever.

However, I think honesty is best in these matters. And I am her godmother. So I told her it’s heretical crap. Alas, I fear the child will never ask my opinion about a book again.

The objectional novel in question is Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code (©2003.) You may have heard of it. I urge you to give it a pass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home