Mary's Library

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Library Books

Six Books That Are Going Back to the Library Unread

One cannot read everything. Only recently has this truth been revealed to me. Among the books I’m not going to read, at least not soon, are the following, which are going back to the library today unread.

WHAT’S A GIRL GOTTA DO?
By Sparkle Hayter (her real name)
Fiction 1994
Sarah was reading one of Hayter’s books and it sounded amusing. This one is a close call, but ocre. Hayter will be on my Borrow Again list.

IN LOVE AND WAR
By Denene Millner and Nick Chiles
Fiction 2003
I read an op-ed piece by Chiles and liked his “voice.” Another for the Borrow Again list.

A TAINT IN THE BLOOD
By Dana Stabenow
Mystery 2004
One of the Kate Shugak series, which takes place in Alaska. Sandy recommended it. I read the first chapter or two and it does look good, but ocre.

BLACK MAPS
By Peter Spiegelman
Mystery 2003
A debut novel. I try to read at least a dozen first novels every year and to buy a couple of the really good new ones. This one didn't make the cut.

FOR WHOM THE MINIVAN ROLLS
By Jeffrey Cohen
Mystery 2002
The first book in the Aaron Tucker series. It didn’t grab me.

MORTAL STAKES
By Robert B Parker
Mystery 1975
I’m reading the Spenser mysteries and this is the next one on my list. But there isn’t time to get to it before it’s due so I’m going to pass on it this time. Borrow Again list.

And Three That Aren’t

DUST OF EMPIRE:
The Race for Mastery in the Asian Heartland

By Karl E Meyer
2003
Mike told me last week about this history of Central Asia, so I requested it from the library. It’s great. Thanks, Mike.

AT CANAAN’S EDGE:
America in the King Years 1965-68
By Taylor Branch
2006
I have read the two previous volumes in this three-volume history of the Civil Rights Movement: PARTING THE WATERS 1954-63 (1988) and PILLAR OF FIRE 1963-65 (1998). Every American should read Branch’s monumental work.

THE LOST PAINTING
By Jonathan Harr
2005
This much-acclaimed book is about Caravaggio’s The Taking of Christ, which disappeared nearly 200 years ago. A young graduate student stumbled across a clue to its whereabouts and this book is the story of her discovery and the search that ensued. It reads like a novel. A very good novel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home