Mary's Library

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Sherlock Holmes

Wilhelm and I have been watching the BBC rendition of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES. Beginning in 1887 with A STUDY IN SCARLET, Sherlock Holmes and his friend Dr Watson have solved puzzles, prevented murders, and otherwise entertained millions and their appeal seems never to have waned.

Wilhelm has held for decades that no actor could better portray Holmes than Basil Rathbone, but after watching this most recent film version he has come to agree with me that Jeremy Brett is the ultimate Sherlock. Tonight we watched “The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle” and “The Adventure of the Copper Beeches.” What a thrilling moment when Joss Ackland responds to Natasha Richardson’s query, “Where are the copper beeches?” with, “Dead, my dear, all dead.”

A three-volume work by Leslie S Klinger, THE NEW ANNOTATED SHERLOCK HOLMES (2005 – 2006) has caused a stir in recent years. We have it but I had not looked at it until tonight. And of course I’m hooked. Again. When I was in high school I read my way through the entire oeuvre – more than once – and I’ve often gone back to these tales. Looks like I’m going back again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home