Mary's Library

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Auntie's Bookstore

I had a book adventure this morning. Wilhelm dropped me at Auntie’s Bookstore on his way to work out at the gym and I had an hour and a half to browse. What a fine bookstore Auntie’s is! They sell used books as well as new ones, so they have a deep inventory, and they sensibly shelve new and used, mass market, trade paper, and cloth cover books all together, which although it takes up a lot of shelf space, makes it easy for the browser to find what he's looking for.

I want to announce up front that I am a rabid fan of Julian Barnes. And so I bought his new book, ARTHUR & GEORGE (2005), and I don't care what the NY Times had to say about it. This is the novel based on a true story about Arthur Conan Doyle and George Edalji, a half-Indian man convicted and jailed in a miscarriage of justice based on racial prejudice. Edalji appealed to Sir Arthur who set out to clear his name. Ripping stuff.

I found on sale a map of Atlanta, which will be helpful as I read about MLK and WHERE PEACHTREE MEETS SWEET AUBURN, and will be needed when we visit Atlanta in the fall.

I confess I also bought a comic book, SPOKANE COUNTRY: The Way It Was (nd), by Ivan Munk. My excuse is that my mother wouldn’t allow us to read comic books when I was a girl and so they retain the appeal of the illicit, which in this case I found impossible to resist.

My non-trollope online group has been talking about Josephine Tey so I decided to buy her two mysteries that I did not already own: THE FRANCHISE AFFAIR (1948) and THE SINGING SANDS (1952.)

Dave mentioned the Alexander McCall Smith Botswana novels a while back. Since I enjoyed them so very much I decided to read Smith’s Scotland mysteries, starting with THE SUNDAY PHILOSOPHY CLUB (2004.)

1 Comments:

At 7:36 AM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you comment on Arthur and George. The subject has intrigued me (despite the iffy review). It is on my list of books to read in the very near future.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home