Mary's Library

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Red Letter Day for the Library

I was tempted to stay up until midnight last night to celebrate the arrival of 7 February 2006, which is the day on which the Spokane Library returns to something resembling normal hours after a lengthy period of closing the branches four days a week. Since my local South Hill branch is one of the more heavily used, it will now be open Tuesday through Saturday. Halleluiah!

I went to the South Hill branch this afternoon and picked up some books that I had reserved. I haven’t read any of them yet, obviously, so I can’t tell you a lot about them. Here is the list:

MARK TWAIN: A Life (2005), by Ron Powers. I’ve read a couple of Twain biographies and I learn something new from each one. The guy is fascinating. This book got good reviews.
LEAVING HOME (2005), by Anita Brookner. A novel. I like Brookner’s work. More about that in a future post.
IN HER SHOES (2002), by Jennifer Weiner. I read her first novel, GOOD IN BED (2002), when it was first published and loved it. Weiner has a marvelous sense of the ridiculous. I’m really looking forward to this comedy.
THE YEAR OF MAGICAL THINKING (2005), by Joan Didion. This is a book about how Didion got through the first year after the death of her husband. It is one of the NY Times "Best Books of 2005," and I really like Didion.
THE BLUE ROSE (2004), by Anthony Eglin. I haven’t a clue why I requested this mystery, but the title is intriguing, don’t you think?
FULL DARK HOUSE (2003), by Christopher Fowler. The first book in a mystery series recommended by Sarah. It takes place during World War II and I like mysteries set in the recent past and especially during and just after war time. (There’s a niche market for you.)
A GRACE DISGUISED: How the Soul Grows Through Loss (1996), by Gerald L Sittser. Another book about grief. The author teaches at Whitworth College. Our cat sitter, Sue, recommended this the other day, and she made it sound so interesting I had requested it from the library before she left the house. I think I’m gong to read this one first.

1 Comments:

At 7:14 AM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently read In Her Shoes and enjoyed it, despite its "chick lit" pedigree. The movie (with Toni Colette and Cameron Diaz) is not bad, but skims the problems explored more fully in the book. Worth putting on your DVD list to watch when you are feeling like something a bit fluffy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home