Mary's Library

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A Love Affair

I’ve been to the dentist again and so I’m owed a treat. Today I decided to browse the shelves at the library and pick up any old book that caught my eye.

What did so was Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney’s A Love Affair, written before the author died in 1942 but not published until 1984.

The book jacket doesn’t say much about it, but something tells me this is a roman a clef and a little poking around in New York City history will provide the clef.


And since I love costume jewelry, and since it was sticking out and easy to see, and just because I wanted to look at the photos, I borrowed Kenneth J Lane: Faking It (1996.)


The above picture of Mrs Whitney was painted by Robert Henri in 1916. It can be seen in the Whitney Museum.

1 Comments:

At 6:24 PM PDT , Blogger Lisa Guidarini said...

Now, I was at the dentist today and didn't console myself with a single book! Now I'm pouting and not speaking to me. Shameful, really, and must be rectified... BUT, two Amy Ephron's (your recommends!) did arrive via interlibrary loan today, so shall console myself with those in the interim...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home