Mary's Library

Thursday, July 13, 2006

New Arrivals





In the mail today I got Anthony Beever’s much-revised 1982 history of the Spanish Civil War, The Battle for Spain (2006.) It looks excellent. Wilhelm has his eye on it and will probably read it when he finishes the biography of William Jennings Bryan, A Godly Hero (2006), by Michael Kazin.

A friend came by this morning with some books to aid me in my quest for a nutritious weight-loss diet. Diet for a Small Planet by Frances Moore Lappe was published in 1971, but it’s still one of the best books on the subject of non-animal protein.

Another book that addresses the importance of food combinations in providing protein is The Insulin-Resistance Diet (2001) by Cheryle R Hart (from Spokane) and Mary Kay Grossman.

And for some yummy vegetable recipes, Vegetariana (1984, 1993) by Nava Atlas.

So what did I learn about nutrition today? Nothing. I spent the day polishing off the chapter summaries for my online Trollope group, which are due tomorrow, and reading the first in the Jack Frost murder mystery series, Frost at Christmas (1984), by R D Wingfield.

5 Comments:

At 10:03 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would love to know what you think of The Battle for Spain when you read it, Mary. I've just purchased some poetry by Federico Garcia Lorca, who was murdered by Franco's soldiers, and I would love to read a good history of the Spanish Civil War. Sharon

 
At 3:26 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, I'll have to check out your doctor's recommendation. You probably already know about the Mediterranean Diet Cookbook: A Delicious Alternative for Lifelong Health, ISBN 0553096087, by Nancy Jenkins, 1994. Lots of fish, olive oil, good stuff. My family likes the fish packets. Wrap a few odds & ends in foil with a fish steak or filet & bake. This is a good choice for winter cooking, when you don't mind heating up the house. Fay

 
At 5:22 PM PDT , Blogger Mary said...

Wilhelm will probably start the book about the Spanish Civil War soon. I'll let you-all know what he thinks about it. The reviews say Beevor's is as unbiased a treatment as you're going to find of this controversial subject. md

 
At 5:25 PM PDT , Blogger Mary said...

I didn't know about the Mediterranean Diet Cookbook, Fay. Thanks for telling me about it. My friend Sarah cooks this way all the time -- the family is Greek and I've come to love that delicious, healthful, but underrated cuisine. md

 
At 5:51 AM PDT , Blogger Lisa Guidarini said...

How ironic, I just yesterday noticed Diet for a Small Planet was sitting on my signed first editions and moved it, as it's onl a lowly paperback and was rubbing elbows with the likes of Margaret Atwood! Eccentric, I know, but I have the compulsion to do things like this... Anyway, I've been a card-carrying vegetarian in the past (and have recently added turkey back to my diet) so have been the route of non-animal proteins as well. Tofu stir-fry is a favorite of mine (firm tofu cut small with nearly any veggies).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home