Mary's Library

Sunday, October 29, 2006

What Am I Reading?


Sharon over at Ex Libris posted a clever little meme the other day. It works like this:

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book. I know you were thinking about it. Just pick up whatever is closest.

Here are my results:

“Do you believe him?”

Guastafeste helped himself to another olive and toyed with it between his fingers.

“I’m not sure. We had to conduct the interview through an interpreter.”

It’s from a very good mystery, The Rainaldi Quartet, by Paul Adam, in which a luthier helps his policeman friend track down the killer of one of the members of their string quartet (now a string trio I suppose.) The trail leads them into the convoluted world of instrument making and the collecting of historic violins.

3 Comments:

At 2:29 PM PST , Blogger Lisa Guidarini said...

Mary, I'm going to TRY to remember to do this meme, linking to your blog, tomorrow. I'd like to leave Kate's lovely book at the top of my blog for today, to get some good exposure for it, but I want to play this particular meme "game"! What fun.

 
At 10:19 AM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a blog, so here's my thing:

"This is not to say a leader should be a good loser; what he needs is the ability to meet personal defeat without succumbing to emotional paralysis and withdrawal and without lashing out at scapegoats or inventing escapist solutions.

"Humans seem to have an inborn need to believe that virtue will be rewarded and evil punished on this earth. When they come face to face with the fact that it is not so, they often take it hard and erratically. Faced with monstrous ingratitude from his children, King Lear found solace in insanity; the German people, swamped with merciless economic hardships, sought solace in Nazism...."

From "A Vietnam Experience: Ten Years of Reflection," by Vice Admiral James B. Stockdale.

 
At 5:23 PM PST , Blogger Mary said...

Why wasn't the Internal Revenue Code the book nearest to you? I'd love to see what it says on page 23 of that.

md

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home