Mary's Library

Friday, March 24, 2006

Library Books

Books Going Back to the Library Unfinished or Unread

DESERT NOIR: A Lena Jones Mystery (2001), by Betty Webb. This is the first book in a new mystery series, and you know how I love mysteries and how I am about reading them in order. Sandy liked it. It takes place in Scottsdale, Arizona, and I like desert settings. I like the cover, and you can tell a book by it's cover; don't let anybody tell you differently.

But I can’t read this. I just can’t. More books will be arriving from the library this afternoon, including another ILL, and Sandy (The Other Sandy) is sure to deliver something in today’s mail, and both my Trollope and Not-Trollope groups are beginning new books that I haven't read yet, and I had to rip out the throat of my sweater last night (which isn’t as violent as it sounds, really), and I have to re-knit all 17 ½ rounds of the Fair Isle design and then knit a dozen more and then do short rows, all before my class on Wednesday . . .

What I’m trying to say is, One Can’t Read Everything. Not even I.

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT (1978), by E X Ferrars (which is pronounced Ferris, I believe.) This is another mystery, written about 25 years ago (a plus), the first in a series, and by an author about whom I have been hearing for 25 years and whose work is well thought of by Those Who Judge. But I was turned off by the first chapter. I know Nancy Pearl says I must read 100 pages minus my age before throwing in the towel. I’m old, but I’m not 86. However, I quit after 14 pages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home