Mary's Library

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Ballet

Sandy went with her grandchildren last weekend to see a ballet, their first. The girls are 2, 4, and 6 and all three were enchanted. So was Sandy.

The ballet was based on the Frances Hodgson Burnett book THE SECRET GARDEN (1911), which has long been one of my great favorites. I still re-read it every now and again. Burnett is also the author of LITTLE LORD FAUNTLEROY (1886), but don’t hold that against her.

When I was in high school I learned to transcribe text into Braille and that was the book I chose to do for my certification. This was just before they perfected a typewriter that did the work a lot better and faster than an unaided human. So I never used my skill, but I got to know THE SECRET GARDEN really really well.

1 Comments:

At 2:14 AM PDT , Blogger dovegreyreader said...

There is a radio programme to be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 this Thursday April 6th at 11.30 am on The Secret Garden.It should be easily available on the BBC listen again website facility.
Lynne

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home