Mary's Library

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Library Books

Books Going Back to the Library Unfinished or Unread (Continued)

THREAD OF GRACE (2005), by Mary Doria Russell. This is a book about Jews who during World War II must hide out in Italy to escape the Nazis. I started it and it’s a fine book. What’s more, I’ve read the author’s previous novels, THE SPARROW (1996) and its sequel CHILDREN OF GOD (1998) and rated them 5 on my scale of 1 to 5. The thing is, those two are Science Fiction, or Psi-fi as my friends the Psitoses call it. They read a lot of it; I don’t read it at all. Ever. And I read those books and loved them. Go, as they say these days, figure. I’ve labeled this book Borrow Again.

AT WAR WITH OURSELVES: Why America Is Squandering Its Chance to Build a Better World (2003), by Michael Hirsh. I am fairly conservative and nominally a Republican (though I have never voted for a Bush) but I like to think I have an open mind about politics. (That’s the most dangerous delusion of them all. I realize that.) Anyhow, I read books on both sides of political matters. But this isn’t going to be one of them. I didn’t get a chance to open the book. Too many other books and that @#$%^& sweater have been gobbling up my time.

THE DANTE CLUB (2003), by Matthew Pearl. This book is a mistake. I was after THE CLUB DUMAS (1997) by Arturo Perez-Reverte and requested this from the library instead. I must have been on Ambien or something.

1 Comments:

At 1:28 PM PST , Blogger dovegreyreader said...

Oh good Mary, you can help me decide about Thread of Grace. I heard so much about it when it came out and it fitted with my reading at the time but of course has only just arrived in the UK in p/b. I will await your verdict
Lynne

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home