Mary's Library

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Books I'm Returning to the Library



I haven’t read all of every book I’m returning today, but I gave them each the Nancy Pearl Fair Shake Test (subtract your age from 100 and that’s how many pages you must read before you decide whether the book is worth reading or not.) The art and furniture books I didn’t really read, just looked at the pictures.

The Collins Big Book of Art: From Cave Art to Pop Art, edited by David G Wilkins **

Furniture, by Judith Miller*****

Common Sense 101: Lessons from G K Chesterton, by Dale Ahlquist** or ***

Talk To the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or, Six Good Reasons To Stay Home and Bolt the Door, by Lynne Truss*

The One Percent Doctrine: Deep Inside America's Pursuit of Its Enemies Since 9/11, by Ron Suskind**

Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism, by Ann Coulter**

The Kitchenless Cookbook, by Suanne Beverly*

You will note that I’ve added some asterisks (*). I rate the books I read or consider reading on a scale of 1 to 5. One means the book is bad, boring, or untrue. Five means it’s first-rate (e.g., Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, Trollope’s Can You Forgive Her?, Mann’s The Magic Mountain.)

1 Comments:

At 11:24 AM PDT , Blogger Lisa Guidarini said...

I read _Talk to the Hand_, or at least I read the first couple of chapters and skim-read a lot of the rest. I guess I thought it would be something different, or at least just something more useful/insightful/what have you. It was alright but doesn't make me want to rush out to read more of her stuff. I agree with some of her points but mainly just couldn't be patient for over 200 pages of it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home